Monday, August 15, 2016

Trailer Loading

I was able to round up the usual suspects again and the dory was loaded onto the trailer.  It went surprisingly easily, thanks to the roll bar on the back.

I wanted it on the trailer to get a better idea where to drill and mount the bow eyebolt.  Still trying to decide how to get the winch rope over vs under the Y bow stop.  May switch it out for a roller.

Another option is to run the boat transom first, which is what many of the dory guys do.

Lastly, a pic of a visit to the Marland Boat Shop later that night from our good friends Scott and Jean.

Always a dory photo op!

Thursday, August 11, 2016


Can't resist posting this:

Artist & Oarlocks

Lesson learned countless times with this dory build - when you're stuck or have screwed up, call in the experts.

In this case, the resident artist expert, Cheryl, was brought in (hopefully at a discount rate), to fix up my transom logo mistakes.  She is becoming a very good watercolor artist and has a much steadier hand than me.  And lots more patience.

A little Jade Green is applied, follow by some Refrigerator White. First coat looking good.

Oarlocks were polished with sanding flaps, rottenstone and buffing wheel and look nice and shiny.  I went with Cobras, over advice of aforementioned experts, b/c I've used them before on my Hyside and liked them.

All that's left is to get the dory on the trailer (hopefully friends have not yet blocked my cell phone number!) and then add the bow eyebolt and stern ring bolt.

Also, seat and side rails, foot rest and footbar all still need to be added but I'm waiting until I get the oars to position everything.

Looking to schedule a christening party on Prospect Lake, if the boat ramp will work for my trailer, soon.

Edit:  Cobra's were fired after a brief dry run.  There is zero feathering feel on the oars, and quite a bit of resistance.  Later went to some NRS/ Clavey oarlocks and just recently scored a cast bronze set from Brad.