Thursday, August 11, 2016

Artist & Oarlocks

Lesson learned countless times with this dory build - when you're stuck or have screwed up, call in the experts.

In this case, the resident artist expert, Cheryl, was brought in (hopefully at a discount rate), to fix up my transom logo mistakes.  She is becoming a very good watercolor artist and has a much steadier hand than me.  And lots more patience.

A little Jade Green is applied, follow by some Refrigerator White. First coat looking good.

Oarlocks were polished with sanding flaps, rottenstone and buffing wheel and look nice and shiny.  I went with Cobras, over advice of aforementioned experts, b/c I've used them before on my Hyside and liked them.

All that's left is to get the dory on the trailer (hopefully friends have not yet blocked my cell phone number!) and then add the bow eyebolt and stern ring bolt.

Also, seat and side rails, foot rest and footbar all still need to be added but I'm waiting until I get the oars to position everything.

Looking to schedule a christening party on Prospect Lake, if the boat ramp will work for my trailer, soon.

Edit:  Cobra's were fired after a brief dry run.  There is zero feathering feel on the oars, and quite a bit of resistance.  Later went to some NRS/ Clavey oarlocks and just recently scored a cast bronze set from Brad.


  1. I see mom has commandeered my favorite rafting shirt. There better not be any paint splatters on it!

  2. Just more character on the river.