First Kevin & I measured the bulkhead marks on the side panels, using a folded piece of tape, marked with each bulkhead spot, attached to a screw in the bow post.
The goal was to keep them symmetric side to side, but also equidistant b/w port vs starboard marks marks along the chine.
This lead to some head scratching, several cups of coffee, and re-marking. Eventually I pretty much used the original lines.
4 simple words from the previous blog post, "tomorrow, Saturday, the bulkheads".
Man, what a pain.
The first two, BH's #2 and 3, the large central ones framing the oarsman footwell, were drawn from the plans, cut, and then fiddled with for what seemed like hours.
I added cam straps to try pulling in the side panels, and kept cutting the bottom and side edges for a better fit.
So off to the side go v.1 of #2 & 3. Not, however, to the ignominious fate of the first transom. I'll cut them down and use them for the smaller bulkheads. This time I measured directly from the boat. This wasn't as simple as it sounds since there are angles everywhere, and the width at the top can only be determined after establishing the height, while inside the boat, since of course each side panel is sloping. And at a variable angle depending on where in the centerline. This required several calls to able assistant Kevin to hold various things while measuring.
Ruby, the Dory Dog, was however absolutely no help.
A dry fitting of all 6 bulkheads looked pretty good. I did cut down the height of two of them a smidge to leave enough room on the top of the side panels for the gunwales.
On to more glassing. Each panel got covered on both sides
Oh yeah, I also faired the joint b/w the bow post and the side panels.